Thousands of years ago, native aborigines of Australia discovered the magical uses of tea tree oil as an antiseptic and to cure burns, cuts, and boils. It’s only recently that tea tree oil has become popular due to its amazing benefits for skincare and hair health. This natural herb has countless uses, including as a mouthwash, insect repellent, and even as a deodorant. Generally, tea tree oil can safely be applied topically without causing major side effects. And it’s always advisable to try it on a small patch of your skin to check if you’re allergic. A word of caution though – never swallow tea tree oil or its solution.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for the Skin
Known to have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, tea tree oil is one of the commonly used ingredients in most acne creams. Applying a solution of tea tree oil helps to reduce swelling and inflammation as well as provide relief and calm skin redness. This natural herb has also been shown to prevent dark spots leaving your skin clear and smooth. What you need:
- Mix one egg white with five drops of tea tree oil and apply the mask to your face. Let it sit for 30 minutes and rinse off with warm water. This helps to reduce excess oil from your skin opening clogged pores and killing acne-causing bacteria.
- You can also mix three to five drops of tea tree oil with 5ml of Argan oil or two ounces of witch hazel and use the solution as a toner and to fight acne.
2. Soften Dry Cuticles
Do you struggle with dry cracked cuticles? Tea tree oil can come to your rescue. It’s effective in fighting fungus and when mixed with lavender oil, you can say goodbye to dry and ragged cuticles. What you need:
- 10 drops tea tree oil
- 10 drops lavender oil
- One tablespoon avocado oil (optional)
- One tablespoon jojoba oil (optional)
To preserve the solution, use a dark-colored glass bottle. Start with the oils and then add tea tree oil and lavender oil. Shake the bottle well until all ingredients combine. Apply the solution to your cuticles to prevent dryness and cracking.
3. Helps to Treat Eczema and Psoriasis
Psoriasis causes a build-up of cells on the surface of your skin causing red dry patches that are itchy. Tea tree oil will reduce the inflammation, rashes, infection and provide relief to your itchy skin. What you need:
- Mix five drops of tea tree oil with five drops lavender oil, two tablespoons coconut oil and one tablespoon shea butter. Apply on your skin daily until the condition heals.
4. Relieves Jock Itch
Jock itch is a fungal infection affecting the genital area, buttocks and inner thighs. The condition can be very uncomfortable and itchy. What you need:
- Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil with two tablespoons olive oil. Rub the mixture on the affected part twice a day.
5. For Cold Sores
If you’ve developed a cold sore, don’t freak out. Tea tree oil is all you need to reduce the cold sores. What you need:
- Simply dab tea tree oil directly onto the cold sore at least three times a day. However, be careful not to swallow it.
6. Chicken Pox
Anyone in your family with chicken pox? Here’s what you need:
- Make a solution of five drops tea tree oil and one tablespoon olive oil. Use a cotton swab to apply the solution to the affected areas three times a day.
7. Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for the Hair Soothe Itchy Scalp
Tea tree oil is effective in treating dandruff and itchy scalp. Simply add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo to enhance its functions. Alternatively, mix a few drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil such as coconut oil, olive oil or sweet almond oil, and apply to your scalp and hair. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then wash it off.
8. Promotes Longer, Thicker, and Healthier Hair
When used regularly, tea tree oil unclogs hair follicles nourishing hair roots. This encourages hair growth. It also helps to make your hair smooth, soft and clean. You can add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo or mix a few drops with a carrier oil and massage the solution into your scalp. Rinse thoroughly for healthier hair and scalp.
9. Prevents Hair Fall
A great remedy to your hair fall woes lies in a mixture of tea tree oil and Argan oil or castor oil. Massage the mixture directly into your scalp and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water. This will revitalize your hair and help it thicken and grow at the same time. Other uses of tea tree oil include:
- Treatment of warts
- Promotes soft lips
- Moisturizes dry skin
- Relief for athlete’s foot
- Kills toenail fungus
- Fights foot and body odor
- Kills head lice
All images by Pixabay