Is the reflection of your face in the mirror not what you want it to be? You’re not alone. Weight gain is usually directly related to your lifestyle, although some hormonal factors are to blame. If you don’t like your chubby face and fat cheeks, your best bet is to change your lifestyle and lose weight in general. While research shows that spot reduction of facial fat isn’t possible, experts point out that when you work out, you start to lose fat from your face first. Below, you’ll find tips on how to lose weight in your face safely. In this post we’ll guide you through how to learn to lose weight in your face and chin.
Several studies have suggested that exercising the facial muscles can help reduce facial fat. By toning and strengthening your facial muscles, your face will appear slimmer and firmer. While more research needs to be performed for more conclusive results, here are some popular facial exercises that you can do any time of the day to lose weight in your face and chin:
- Swish air in your mouth for five minutes daily. Take a deep breath and puff out your cheeks. Move the air from side to side for five minutes, making sure that you breathe normally as you do this.
- Open your mouth wide and hold for five seconds, and then relax. Be sure to open your mouth wide as if you were screaming and hold this position for around five seconds before relaxing. Repeat this about 30 times each day.
- Fish lips. Suck in your cheeks and hold that position for five seconds before relaxing. It might look silly, but it helps tone your cheek muscles. Repeat around 20 times a day.
- Say “X” and “O” interchangeably around 20 times in a row to work your chins and cheeks.
- Give your best smile while clenching your teeth, and hold for a few seconds. Repeat several times each day to exercise your cheek muscles.
- Lift your cheeks towards your eyes as high as you can and hold for a few seconds at a time. This will help reduce facial fat.
- Blowing balloons is also a unique way of exercising your facial muscles.
Lose the Booze
The number one enemy to weight loss is alcohol, which is an inflammatory substance. When mixed with carbonated and sugary drinks, it can cause fluid retention which may lead to a swollen face.
So, be sure to reduce your alcohol intake as the first step towards getting a slender, sculpted face.
Water Is Your Best Friend
Studies show that water can be effective in helping you shed some extra pounds. Drinking a glass of water before each meal reduces your hunger pangs, hence the amount of food you’ll eat. It’s also a great idea to drink water first when you start craving unhealthy snacks.
According to a recent review of weight loss and hydration, consuming more water may promote lipolysis. This is a process where the body breaks down fat stores into fatty acids and uses it as energy, hence reducing fat that’s just sitting on your body.
Engage in Cardio
Cardiovascular exercises offer the best and most natural way to lose weight in your face and entire body. Not only will you be in great shape, but your overall health will also improve to lose weight in your face and chin. Choose an exercise that you are comfortable doing. You can start with low-intensity workouts and work your way into high-intensity routines.
Some exercises that can help burn more calories include biking, running, swimming, and walking.
Improve Your Diet
Your lifestyle has got everything to do with your weight. The more processed foods you eat, the poorer your health. Processed foods are full of bad fats, salt, and sugar, which have been linked to gaining excess weight.
So, if your diet contains refined carbs, such as pasta, cookies, and crackers, consider switching to whole grains to improve your weight loss regime.
Get Enough Rest
Quality sleep plays a crucial role in your overall weight loss strategy. Sleep deprivation has been found to increase cortisol levels in your body, a stress hormone that can lead to several side effects, including a slower metabolism and weight gain.
What’s more, staying up late into the night increases your chances of bedtime eating, which can affect your body’s circadian rhythm. As a result, you may end up gaining more weight.
Lack of sleep can be visible on your face in the form of puffy eyes and dark circles. Therefore, be sure to get eight hours of quality sleep each night. Additionally, avoid harmful habits like drinking caffeinated drinks or using electronic devices just before bed, and sleeping with the lights on.
There isn’t much evidence to support ways to reduce facial fat. However, with regular exercise and maintaining a healthy diet, you can lose weight all over your body, including your face.
Don’t forget to get enough sleep and avoid processed foods that are packed with excess salt and sugars. If none of these simple tips work in your favor, consider consulting a dietician, nutritionist, doctor, or personal trainer for expert advice.