The oil in our skin (sebum) naturally protects the skin and keeps it hydrated and healthy. But, when the sebaceous glands produce sebum excessively, it clogs the pores giving way to the formation of acne and pimples. Some of the factors that contribute to oily skin include processed food, sugary food, stress, puberty, genetic factors and seasonal changes among others. Chemical products can cause awful reactions on your skin and this article provides the top 7 home remedies for oily skin and how to use them.
Studies show that honey contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It’s also among the top natural moisturizers for all types of skin. Honey is known to absorb the excess oil from our skin to keep the pimples at bay. Additionally, it rejuvenates the skin with vital nutrients that help to maintain skin balance and keep the skin soft. To use honey:
- Apply organic honey face mask and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the face mask with warm water.
Oatmeal is a great remedy for inflamed skin thanks to the cleansing saponin, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory qualities. It soothes skin as well as absorb excess oil from the skin. It also acts as an exfoliator to remove dead skin which makes it ideal for face scrubbing. Oatmeal effectively cleanses your face by removing oil and dirt leaving your face feeling refreshed. To use oatmeal:
- Soak a half cup of ground oats with hot water for about 10 minutes.
- It should form a paste that’s easy to massage on your face.
- For added benefits, add one tablespoon of honey.
- Leave the mixture on for approximately 15 minutes and then wash it off with warm water and pat dry.
Almonds provide a good source of vitamin E which is responsible for soft skin. They have anti-aging properties which help to reduce wrinkles and fine lines on your face. Almonds are great exfoliators that help to remove dead skin and reduce excess sebum produced by the skin. That’s why almonds are used in many face scrub products. To use almonds:
- You’ll need finely ground almonds.
- Mix three tablespoons of almond powder with raw honey to make a paste.
- Alternatively, you can mix ground almond with rose water to form a fine paste.
- Gently massage the mixture on your face in circular motion.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash off the face mask with warm water and pat dry.
4. Egg White and Lemon Juice
The astringent properties of egg whites naturally help to shrink pores on the skin. Egg whites are also protein- and vitamin-rich which refreshes and nourishes your skin. On the other hand, lemons are acidic which helps to absorb the excess oil on the skin. Lemons are also known to have antibacterial compounds which can help get rid of acne. To use egg whites and lemon juice:
- Combine one teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice and one egg white.
- Apply the mixture to your face and allow it to dry.
- Wash it off with warm water and pat dry.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is very effective at soothing burns. Its succulent nature helps to keep the skin hydrated and moisturized. It’s a reliable treatment if you have oily skin. To use aloe vera:
- Extract the gel of a freshly cut aloe vera leaf.
- Gently apply a thin layer of the gel on your face and neck area.
- For better results, leave in on until morning.
- Otherwise, remove it with warm water after 10 minutes.
However, aloe vera can be sensitive to skin. To test your skin, apply a little gel on a small part of your skin and check for reactions for up to 48 hours.
If you thought tomatoes can only be eaten, you’ll be surprised by what they can do to your skin. Tomatoes are acidic in nature which makes them great at absorbing and limiting excess oil production from your skin as well as unclogging pores. They are also good exfoliators. To use tomatoes:
- Mash one ripe tomato in a bowl.
- Apply the puree on your face and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
Cucumber is made up of 80 percent water. It’s also rich in vitamin C and caffeic acid which are known to soothe skin irritation. Additionally, cucumber has anti-inflammatory properties to help reduce swelling. To use cucumber:
- Place chopped cucumber slices in a grinder and blend it.
- Strain the juice to remove the pulp.
- Using a cotton ball, dab the cucumber juice on your face.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the juice off your face and pat dry.
Take Home Message
On top of using these natural remedies, always remember to keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water and eating lots of fruits and vegetables. It’s also important to limit your intake of junk and processed food.