Our bodies come with complex built-in detoxification systems such as the lungs, kidneys, skin, and colon among others. But due to exposure to toxins such as antibiotics, chemicals, and pesticides from the environment, the food we eat, beauty products, and household cleaners, our body accumulates these toxins to the extent that it becomes overwhelmed to remove them efficiently. Luckily, there are certain foods and drinks that we can take to aid our natural detoxification system to reach its optimal level in flushing out the toxins. Detox diets come in many forms from cleanses, juice fasts, total starvations fasts and weird concoctions that may do more harm than good. You can avoid all this by using these simple recipes to naturally detoxify your body.
Super Delicious Detox Salad
Salads are easy to prepare and form a healthy option since most ingredients are fresh. Plus, you can add ingredients as you wish.
What you need:
- Green onions
You can chop all the ingredients by hand or you can throw them in a food processor to make a finely shredded salad.
- Two bunches finely chopped kales.
- Red, yellow, and orange bell pepper, one piece each.
- One cup of shredded carrots
- A half cup chopped cilantro
- A quarter cup of chopped parsley
- A half avocado diced
To make Vinaigrette:
- A half cup lemon juice
- Two teaspoons of olive oil
- Two cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and black pepper
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and top with the vinaigrette. Enjoy!
This cauliflower detox bowl is full of delicious superfoods that will detox and nourish your body at the same time. To make this detox, you need kale leaves, avocado, cauliflower, olive oil, ground cumin, red cabbage, one clove garlic, and half cup quinoa. Boil the quinoa for 10 minutes and set aside. Roast the cauliflower in the oven for about 20 minutes. Chop the kale leaves and red cabbage into thin strips and sauté in a frying pan until wilted. Add the quinoa and toss until all the ingredients are well mixed. Serve and top with the sliced avocado.
Orange, Carrot and Ginger Detox
Oranges are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. Carrots are packed with beta-carotene and fibers that help with digestion and weight loss. Ginger, on the other hand, has anti-inflammatory properties that aid in digestion, colds and flu, and stomach cramps. This mix is one of the best detox drinks you can try today. You could also replace the orange with apple.
You can make a delicious fruity salad to savor a rich flavor combined with powerful antioxidants. You can add your favorite fruits that are in seasons such as watermelon, mango, oranges, and grapefruit. Plus, you can also incorporate cucumber, herbs, and green vegetables. This will only take you a few minutes and you’ll give yourself a bowl full of health benefits.
Delicious Smoothie Detox Bowl
Nothing beats a bowl of thirst-quenching smoothie that’s full of goodness and your favorite toppings. This smoothie is flexible and you can add or remove ingredients that you don’t want. What you need:
- One cup chopped pineapple (frozen, although not mandatory).
- One banana
- One tablespoon protein powder.
- One cup of ice
- Juice from a half a lemon.
- Toppings of your choice – coconut flakes, nuts or berries.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass or bowl and add the toppings. ”
The advantage of soups is that they contain plenty of water to help you stay hydrated. Cabbage soup is highly nutritious and contains vegetables and spices that will boost your system’s detoxification abilities. Most people associate detox with a flat taste. But this soup is far from it and tastes delicious and takes less than 20 minutes to prepare.
- Two onions, sliced.
- Three medium-sized carrots, sliced into rounds.
- Three cups beans (kidney beans), cooked.
- A half head of cabbage, finely chopped.
- Lean beef cooked and drained. The portion will depend on how many people you are serving.
- Spices of your choice – pepper, chili, bay leaf, turmeric, or curry powder.
- Two cloves of garlic, crushed.
- Four cups of water (you can leave out water if you prefer your soup thick).
- Four cups vegetable or beef broth.
- Salt to taste.
- Place the onions, carrots, cabbage, and beans in your cooking pot.
- Add in the cooked beef, the spices, and salt.
- Cook on low heat until all the vegetables are tender
Best enjoyed when hot. This soup can last up to three months if stored in the refrigerator
You can also make a simple cauliflower smoothie using one cup of pre-cooked cauliflower, a half cup of raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries. Add one scoop of Whey protein and collagen protein. To prepare this smoothie, place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth, adding water if needed. Top up with coconut flakes or nuts and enjoy a delicious detox bowl full of vitamins and antioxidants.
All images by Pixabay