If you want to bring back the fountain of youth and maintain it, it could be as simple as doing certain facial exercises, also known as facial yoga, right at the comfort of your home. In the beauty world, you’ll find lots of lotions, creams, treatments, and even surgeries all purporting to tighten your facial muscles and keep you looking young. What if we told you there are natural ways to do this? The face contains more than 50 different muscles, which, unlike the muscles in the rest of our bodies, are rarely put to use. As we age, the skin on our faces start to sag, and just like our body, we also need to tone our faces. With the following anti-aging face yoga, you will strengthen your facial muscles in specific areas such as the jawline, neck, eyelids, eyebrows, and cheeks, hence get rid of wrinkles.
Get Rid of Cheek Lines and Sagging Skin
Instead of going for a lower facelift, this non-invasive facial exercise only takes a few minutes and can be done anywhere at any time.
- Make an “O” shape with your mouth so that you’re hiding your teeth.
- Try to smile as widely as possible while keeping your teeth hidden. Repeat this exercise seven times.
- Now, repeat steps 1 and 2, but this time while smiling, place your index finger on the chin and move your jaw up and down. Keep your head tilted back and repeat the exercise 6 times.
Another exercise you could try is:
- Look straight ahead and place both index fingers on your cheekbones.
- Pressing firmly on your skin, massage your cheekbones in small circles.
- Now, make the ‘O’ shape and smile as widely as you can. Repeat this several times.
For a Smooth Brow
This exercise removes horizontal forehead lines and is an alternative to Botox.
- With both hands on your forehead, spread the fingers so that you cover the space between the hairline and eyebrows.
- Gently move your hands outwards, as if wiping your forehead. Repeat up to 10 times and then relax. Do this exercise in sets of 10 reps.
Another simple exercise you could try is this:
- Frown as hard as you can, and try bringing your eyebrows over your eyes closer together.
- Now, relax and then do the opposite. Raise your eyebrows, the way you react when surprised. Lift your eyebrows as high as you can and open your eyes as widely as possible.
- Repeat up to 10 times.
Tighten Eyebrows and Deep Eye Hollows
- Place your index fingers under each eye, so that they are pointing towards your nose.
- Use your lips to hide the teeth and open your mouth slightly so that the lips don’t touch.
- Flutter your upper eyelids while gazing at the ceiling for 30 seconds
This exercise tones your chin and neck by tightening sagging skin.
- While standing or sitting, look up and stretch your neck.
- With your head tilted back, place your fingertips at the bottom of your neck and pull the skin upwards. Avoid putting too much pressure on the skin.
- Hold the stretch for at least 10 seconds and then release.
- Go back to the starting position and repeat several times.
To get rid of puffy eyes and droopy eyelids, try this simple exercise.
- Press each index finger on the outer corners of each eyebrow.
- Now, place your middle fingers on the inner corners of each eyebrow to make a ‘V’ below your eyes.
- Apply light pressure using your fingers and pull your eyebrows down to make a frown face. Alternatively, stretch your eyebrows and look up at the ceiling. While in this position, try to raise your lower eyelids.
- Remove your fingers and squint your eyes.
- Hold for three seconds and then relax.
- Repeat this exercise about 10 times. When you’re done, close your eyes for about 10 seconds to relax the eyes.
For Your Cheeks
This exercise helps to strengthen your cheeks and reduce skin sagging.
- Take a deep inhale and fill your cheeks with air.
- Hold the air inside your cheeks and try to move the air from one cheek to another.
- Keep doing this for as long as you can and then slowly expel the air.
- Repeat up to 10 times.
There you have it! No need for invasive surgeries, facelifts, or creams to keep your skin looking young. Practice these simple but effective facial exercises to maintain your beauty even as you age.
Plus, you can do the exercises at home, in your office, when driving or even on the bus.
All images by Pixabay