Eliminating candida overgrowth starts with your diet. Candida feeds on sugars from carbohydrates, yeast and other moldy foods that the body transforms into sugar. Stay away from allergens that can challenge your immune system, as you need it to remain focused on cleaning out the candida.
What Causes Candida?
- Taking oral contraceptives
- Taking antibiotics (this does more harm than good — antibiotics kill off the friendly gut bacteria)
- Living a high-stress lifestyle
- Eating lots of refined carbohydrates and sugar
- Eating a diet high in fermented foods (like sauerkraut, Kombucha, and pickles)
- Consuming a lot of alcohol
The Symptoms of Candida Overgrowth
Below are the most common signs/symptoms of candida overgrowth:
- Autoimmune diseases such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, ulcerative colitis, scleroderma, psoriasis, or multiple sclerosis.
- Fungal infections of the nail and skin, such as toenail fungus or athlete’s foot.
- Skin issues like, psoriasis, eczema, rashes and hives.
- Poor memory, difficulty concentrating, lack of focus, brain fog, ADHD and ADD.
- Mood swings, irritability, depression, or anxiety.
- Strong cravings for refined carbohydrate and sugar.
- Urinary tract infections, vaginal infections, vaginal itching, or rectal itching.
- Digestive problems such as constipation, diarrhea, or bloating.
- Itchy ears or severe allergies (food, dust, cleaning agents, etc.)
- Feeling worn down/tired all the time or suffering from fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue.
Natural Treatments for Candida Overgrowth
Of course, you can use herbal supplements as treatments to fight off Candida, as well as other unwanted fungi.
1. Colloidal Silver
Colloidal silver, though controversial, offers a variety of effectiveness in terms of health. While colloidal silver should not be taken long term, it can boost your immune system and has been known to treat topical fungi. Along with a wealth of other health benefits, colloidal silver can provide relief from a number of symptoms.
2. Clove Oil
Taking 15-30 drops of clove oil in water three times each day provides a powerful boost to the immune system. Clove oil is known as an anti-fungal treatment that can be used internally or externally to treat fungi. I bought the capsules when I was doing the Hulda Clark parasite cleanse. Other herbs were Black Walnut and Wormwood.
3. Aloe Vera
Higher pH levels are the perfect environment for Candida growth. Taking Aloe Vera lowers your pH levels, and detoxes your liver to optimize clearing out Candida. The liver needs to be optimally healthy as it filters out Candida toxins as it is eliminated. If you don’t have fresh plants growing at home, you can consume capsules or juice (straight from the fresh plant) daily to improve your health.
4. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is celebrated for its various health benefits. Taking just a little bit each day can boost brain function, skin health and it even provides anti-fungal benefits. Coconut oil also aids in weight loss.
5. Olive Extracts
Both olive oil and leaf extracts disturb the reproductive cycle of fungi, preventing it from continuing to grow as your body works to remove it from the body. It lowers blood sugars, and stabilizes them to prevent Candida from feeding, while actively working to boost immune health.
Berberine can be found in Barberry and Goldenseal, and is particularly effective against Candida. Berberine boosts and stimulates the immune system, encouraging it to function at a higher level. However, Berberine shouldn’t be taken by pregnant women, and use should be limited to a week for adults and 3 days for children.
7. Grapefruit Seed Extract
Found to be effective against over 100 fungi strains, grapefruit seed extract works efficiently to kill fungus, bacteria, parasites and viruses that are lurking in the body. It feeds good gut flora, and can be taken three times a day in water.
Garlic provides a number of benefits to the human body, just one of which is powerful anti-fungal properties. It boosts good gut bacteria, while killing bad bacteria. It kills 24 of the 26 strains of Candida. It can be used on fungal skin infections, and can be taken whole, as a capsule or an oil.
9. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
Raw apple cider vinegar fights against candida albicans because it creates an unfriendly environment for the yeast while providing a favorable environment for friendly gut flora. It actually kills the yeast in the intestine, creating a die off reaction. Take one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before meals.
10. Pau D’Arco
This immune system stimulant is known to destroy Candida, as well as prevent its growth from continuing in the body. It’s highly effective and works fairly quickly. You can use the dried bark to make tea or take the capsules.